Jan 21, 2013
Leadhills and Wanlockhead Railway, Britain’s highest adhesion railway
The Railway was founded in 1983 to establish a Narrow Gauge tourist railway from Leadhills to the nearby village of Wanlockhead, using part of the trackbed of the former Caledonian Railway branch line from Elvanfoot to Wanlockhead.
The Caley branch line (a “Light Railway”) was completed in 1901 mainly to take minerals from the then...
Aug 19, 2012
Click for an INSTANT SLIDESHOW
Jan 20, 2012
The village of Leadhill lies over 1300 feet up in the Lowther Hills in a desolate exposed landscape. With a history of mineral exploitation going back to medieval times, it is determined to build a future on its past.
Lead was mined here more or less continuously from the 13th century until the last shaft closed in 1938. By 1424 however the emphasis had moved to gold which was also found in...