Translate this page: EnglishFrenchGermanItalianPortugueseRussianSpanish
search
top
Currently Browsing: History

“Fresh air, good food, regulated exercise, and rest” : Life in Bellefield Hospital for Patients in the early 20th century

    INTRODUCTION : One of the most interesting hospitals in Lanark,  Bellefield was a originally  a private house, built around 1885 by James Lawrie, a local JP and director of Lockhart Hospital.  The house was then used as a private sanatorium 1895-1904, before being bought  over by the Glasgow and West of Scotland branch of the National Association of the prevention of consumption. For a... read more

Clydesdale Inn Accounts

Clydesdale Inn Account books – please click for Instant Slideshow – a full size readable image of any page can be sent on... read more

Clydesdale Mills

Clydesdale’s heritage is fundamentally linked to the River Clyde.  As a source of water and food and as a communications route the river, its tributaries and their valleys have served the region since Palaeolithic times.  The waterways have also served as a major source of power.  The hydro-electric power stations at Bonnington and Stonebyres have catered for our modern power needs for almost a... read more

Clydesdale Heritage Lectures

Click for an INSTANT SLIDESHOW read more

John Lawrie and the origins of Lawrie and Symington

  John Lawrie first set up business as an auctioneer in Lanark in 1840 and entered a partnership with his nephew James Symington in 1862. Business grew rapidly as auctions replaced hand-selling at fairs as the common form of agricultural exchange. On September 24th 1867, Mr Lawrie and his nephew Mr Symington held their first Livestock Sale.  Since then the Company has diversified into a number of... read more

« Previous Articles · · ·

top