Translate this page: EnglishFrenchGermanItalianPortugueseRussianSpanish
search
top

St Mary’s Church Hall, Lanark

On Friday 16th September 2011 St Mary’s Church hall was destroyed by fire.

Lanark was brought to a standstill as fireman fought bravely to try and save this church hall.

Sadly the demise of this much loved church hall brought back sad memories dating back to 1907 when St Mary’s Church was destroyed by fire on 13th April.  The Church celebrated its 100yrs rebuild in 2010.

St Mary’s Church hall was designed by architect Thomas Carlaw and built by John Rielly, both from Lanark.

The two storey building  measured  90ft by 30ft.

It had a  lower room which was a concert hall with a 520 seating capacity. It had a stage  measuring 17ft by 30ft with dressing rooms at either side. One of the dressing rooms was fitted out and used as a kitchen.

The upper was a recreation hall hall used for billiards, table bowels, card tables, etc.

Both rooms were heated by gas steam radiators.

To celebrate its formal opening on January 4th 1910 a grand concert was held.

The parish turned out in full to support this event.

Over the years St Mary’s hall has been used by families to hold  wedding receptions, birthday parties etc.

St Marys hall was used for many events such as  Purple Rain discos in the 1970’s where many a young couple could be found smooching to Boheiem Rapsody. A “McGonnagle” night which starred the young Ron Harris was a great success. Various groups used the hall for fund raising events such as camel race nights and quiz nights.

End of a much loved era.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

top